When Will Austin Be Home?

  • Austin left on his mission:
    5 years, 3 months, 26 days, 5 hours, 36 minutes, 32 seconds ago

Recent Comments

Sickness In A Hospital

Austin battles Harry Potter

Artistic interpretation of the magic of missionary work.

First of all, no, we were not in the hospital because we got sick. No, we were just there when we found out that Elder Scott was really sick.

Monday night, we had dinner at a member’s house and the next day Elder Scott felt really cruddy. We found out later that this household had a stomach bug going around after Monday too, but by the end of Tuesday we still didn’t know how bad things were. Elder Scott was just not feeling great, but neither were Ayre and Fetzer who had come down with some head colds. I thought it was probably just the same thing.

The next day Scott wasn’t doing a whole lot better, but we went out and tried to visit some people in the morning. We got a call from our Bishop, too, telling us there was someone in the hospital who needed a blessing and who we needed to get names and birthdays from. We scheduled to go do that at 1:00, but by noon Scott was bed-ridden. Normally at that point I probably would have just handed the blessing off to the other Elders, but the hospital was far away and they were on foot. So I told Scott we’d just go do the blessing, then we’d come back and he could just chill.

He stumbled out of bed and we drove to the hospital. He didn’t say much the whole time. We got up to the seventh floor, gave the blessing, got the information we needed, and then on the way out, Scott told me he needed to find a bathroom. He said he felt like he was going to throw up. We got, literally, three feet down the hall from the room we’d just given a blessing in when he vomited all over the hospital carpet in front of doctors, nurses, and a janitor. It was pretty embarrassing, but also hilarious. He said later that he felt the worst for throwing up in front of the janitor. “It was like spitting in her face,” he said.

So after that whole scene, I called the mission nurse and we went back to the apartment. And there we stayed. And the next day we tried to do a little more, but we only actually made it to two people. Then by Friday Elder Scott was doing relatively alright until he tried to eat a regular-sized meal. The strain on Scott from that meal was bad enough that the next day we had to stay in ALL DAY. After that, though, he got a lot better, and we haven’t had problems since.

Still, staying inside almost all day for three days was a real bummer. Elder Scott just stayed in bed the whole time, so I was basically alone in the apartment all day each of those days. It was really hard to find things to keep me busy. I would play a little guitar here, plan out some other things on paper, take a short nap, cook food, and so on, but we missionaries don’t keep a lot of things around to do for fun on our own. Obviously, I am glad I don’t have to stay in like that all the time.

Patience is a real good thing to have as a missionary. You can’t really survive without it. I’m starting to think the whole point of a mission is to put us in a harsh environment so we have to adapt things like patience into our lives to survive, then we can keep the attributes afterwards.

On a brighter note, our effort in working with the less-active members of the ward has been yielding some results. The ward notices it when we bring people back that they know, and this is no exception.
It’s got some of them excited, anyways, and the new ward initiative is to get everyone to coordinate who to reactivate next and how to reactivate them. So yay for Springfield 1st for coming up with that idea all on their own!
Love you all, and have a happy Thanksgiving,

Elder Rushton – Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>